Living as an expat is completely different from the norm. Travelling lightly can change your life completely or in my case travelling with a newborn baby half way to the empty quarter of the world opened my heart and my eyes to living life in general. I fully opened up and lived my life and love changed my life and helped me find the truth meaning of living.
Here I was a complete stranger living in the sultans country of Oman Muscat and a magical and beautiful country. Sure the language was a barrier but with a handful of international expats we had a chance to share other ideas we had for our lives and really I lived out of a suitcase for most of three years of my life.
It was challenging but it made me stronger on the inside. My husband was out in the desert oil and gas so I did not get much chance to see him so it was a little strange to be all alone in a new country that was miles away from my family and with a sick father back in Australia- sadly he passed away now. But more importantly I learnt so much and even took on creative projects that light up my life.
7 things I learnt about myself living abroad.
- You are stronger than you think– It makes you figure out what you can do and be when the chance comes to step up and solve a problem.
- You are more resourceful than you believe – For example when supplies for food would be out for a month you would change recipes and home make other things you would normally buy. You change your focus and realise that some things that you thought were the end of the road were just things that make us better and insignificant in the bigger picture in the world.
- You end up making big decisions you never thought possible– I started a blog and baby business and created the worlds first innovative nursing cover that had multiple ways to wear, nurse and uses for on baby pram. Yes, I may have over complicated the uses but it was a real hit and I got it in 5 countries world wide what a huge achievement.I was the creator which was something brand new to me and in a foreign country. As seen here on babyology watch the video too.
- You might actually see people for who they really are rather than who they try to be– Truly this was a magical moment when I would not normally talk to people that I had to but I learnt so much for people all over the world, I learnt about religion, love, mindfulness, meditation and drove to wadis that were so remote it would take your breathe away. If I ever have enough money I would take people on retreats to heal their souls and calm their minds a rehabilitation program for women that are burnout from work life balance.
- You make life long friends who end up being a sounding board– there are no guarantees in life yet if you truly love whole heartily and greet and meet everyone was if they would be in your life with good measure you can end up meeting some fabulous caring souls on this planet.
- You end up being independent and confident– When I share my story with women around the world about my living in the middle east and in hotels and in the empty quarter of the world and how it changed my life and the lessons I learnt and opportunities I had they are amazed at how one women can travel not understanding the country and where she was going with no husband to arrive for a month before and with a newborn baby all on her own.
- You end up being best friends with yourself.- Love certainly light up my life. Often you go a little stir crazy on your own but there is no doubt that I became best friends and feel in love with my life, myself and the beauty in the world around me. I began to appreciate life, payed gratitude and gave the universe my wishes which I believe the universe has a big plan for everyone so believe you are enough, worthy of learning about yourself and worthy of making the most of your time here in the present moment.